Car Hacking Videos
What cars can be hacked? The list of car hacking videos below feature a variety of cars. The most famous car hacking video is probably the one with the Jeep Cherokee hack. Although the Jeep hack is now fixed, through a vehicle recall, there are probably more bugs that allow hacking waiting to be found. This affects all cars made today as they all depend on software, if you find a bug that alllows the software to be changed then you can hack the car. Other cars featured in the list of videos below include a Tesla, Prius, Impala, Lexus, Chrysler, Outlander, and others (Tesla and Chrysler updated their vehicle software to prevent any of the hacks shown).
Car Hacking is Cyber Attack, Cyber Defence and Cyber Mods
The videos in the list also cover the subject of protecting cars from hacking (though mainly at the high level). The videos show that cars can be hacked, therefore they need to be protected from hacking. The grass roots organisation I Am The Cavalry has done a lot of work in hightlighting the issue.
Automotive cyber-security and car hacking is an interesting topic of study for security researchers. Plus of course the criminals use car hacking to overcome vehicle security and steal cars. There are numerous videos from security cameras showing thieves using electronic devices to steal cars. This is a still from a video of a car theft posted by BIMMERPOST. A thief is waiting to plug a device into the cars OBD port whilst an accomplice overcomes the physical security.
There is the legitimate hacker community for cars, take a look at Open Garages. If you own a car you might want to enchance the functionality or perform your own research on the capabilities of combining vehicle and computing technology. There are aftermarket devices and software that adds smartphone linked functions to vehicles, such a SmartStart, Automatic, OBDLink, or Torque. Some videos related to that side of car hacking are included in the list. Unfortunately the security of those devices can be weak.
List of Car Hacking Videos
Videos below are listed from newest to the oldest:
- Tesla Model X Hack - 27th July 2017, Uploaded 28th July 2017. Keen Security Lab of Tencent Remote Attack Tesla Motors Again.
- Elon Musk's view on Automotive Cyber-security - 15th July 2017. Elon Musk provides Tesla's view on automotive cyber-security at the National Governors Association's 2017 Summer Meeting which introduces the new Chair's initiative Ahead of the Curve.
- Tesla CAN bus data logging - 20th February 2017, grabbing data from the Tesla CAN bus and routing the results to the car's touch panel.
- How to steal a Tesla? (Uses fake WiFi hotspot and apps.) - 24th November 2016. Using a fake WiFi hotspot to trick car drivers and get the details of their Tesla app login and then steal the Tesla.
- Canspy: A Platform for Auditing Can Devices - 22nd November 2016.
- Andy Davis & David Claire - Vehicle cyber security and innovative assessment techniques - 6th October 2016.
- Ken Munro & Dave Lodge - Hacking the Mitsubishi Outlander & IOT - 26th September 2016. More information on the Outlander PHEV hack.
- Car Hacking Research: Remote Attack Tesla Motors by Keen Security Lab - 19th September 2016. Chinese researchers demonstrate their hacking of Tesla cars (english subtitles).
- DEF CON 24 - Jianhao Liu, Chen Yan, Wenyuan Xu - Can You Trust Autonomous Vehicles? - 8th September 2016. Messing with sensors on vehicles.
- CAN Denial-of-Service Attack Demo on the Giulietta - 16th August 2016, short video from a researcher on blocking CAN messages using microcontrollers from Politecnico di Milano.
- CANtact: An Open Tool for Automotive Exploitation - 12th August 2016.
- State Of Automotive Cyber Safety - IATC - Joshua Corman - 2nd August 2016, the previous year's BSides talk on the same topic is listed further down.
- Hacking a Car with an Ex-NSA Hacker: CYBERWAR (Clip) - 8th July 2016. Features Charles Miller and the hacked Jeep.
- Hacking the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV - 5th June 2016.
- The Current State of Automotive Security - 7th May 2016. Note Chris Valasek presenting.
- High-tech car theft: How to hack a car (CBC Marketplace) - 1st April 2016. Features Samy Kamkar hacking a car's wireless locking systems with his RollJam device.
- Controlling an Instrument Cluster with an Arduino - 8th March 2015.
- SAE Cyber Auto Challenge Webinar - 24th February 2016.
- README 1st - Open Garages - 19th February 2016, Open Garages is a car hacking group and has posted five videos
- DEF CON 23 - Vehicle Hacking Village - Josh Corman - Safer Sooner Automotive Cyber Safety - 2nd December 2015.
- DEF CON 23 - Samy Kamkar - Drive it like you Hacked it: New Attacks and Tools to Wireless - 2nd December 2015, 41K+. Updated for AppSec California 2016, 21st March 2016.
- DEF CON 23 - Marc Rogers and Kevin Mahaffey - How to Hack a Tesla Model S - 2nd December 2015.
- DEF CON 23 - Vehicle Hacking Village - Eric Evenchick - SocketCAN - 2nd December 2015.
- DEF CON 23 - Charlie Miller & Chris Valasek - Remote Exploitation of an Unaltered Passenger Vehicle - 21 August 2015. In depth on the Jeep hack.
- Ford Focus ECU fuzzing at DEFCON 23 Car Hacking Village - 09 August 2015.
- IATC - State of Automotive Cyber Safety - Josh Corman - 4th August 2015, Josh Corman of I Am The Cavalry talks automotive cyber-security.
- OwnStar - hacking cars with OnStar to locate, unlock and remote start vehicles - 30th July 2015. Featuring Samy Kamkar.
- Glitch allows hackers to control your car - 22 July 2015. CNNs take on the Valasek and Miller Jeep hack.
- Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It - 21st July 2015. Features Chris Valasek and Charlie Miller.
- Hopping on the CAN Bus introduces CANard by Eric Evenchick at Black Hat Asia 2015 - March 26th 2015, published in YouTube 29th August 2016, other versions available.
- 60 Minutes Preview Clip - 6th February 2015. Short video of a car hacking demo.
- Car Hacking by UCSD - 12th February 2015. Educational video on car hacking.
- DEF CON 22 - Charlie Miller & Chris Valasek - A Survey of Remote Automotive Attack Surfaces - 6th January 2015.
- Car Automation with your Android Phone: OBDLink LX - 10th December 2014. Also features the Torque app.
- 2014 Connected Car Expo: Automotive Cybersecurity: A frank discussion. - 28th November 2014. Chris Valasek on the panel.
- Another Korean car hacking demo. - 12th October 2014. Warning load backing music.
- Black Hat USA 2014 - Embedded: A Survey of Remote Automotive Attack Surfaces - 28th September 2014. Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek at Black Hat 2014.
- Your car is a giant computer - and it can be hacked - 2nd June 2014, Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek on CNN Money.
- How to Hack a Car: Phreaked Out - 29th May 2014.
- Vehicle Forensics - The Data Beyond the Dashboard - 21st April 2014.
- Mazda RX8 CAN bus control demo of the instrument cluster - 14th January 2014.
- DEF CON 21 - Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek - Adventures in Automotive Networks and Control Units - 20th December 2013.
- Ford wants you to join it in hacking car software and hardware - 6th November 2013, introduces Ford's OpenXC.
- Two experts demonstrate carjacking gone digital - 29th July 2013. Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek on the TODAY show.
- Automotive Consortium for Embedded Security - 18th December 2013. Provides an overview of automotive cyber-security issues.
- Digital Carjackers Show Off New Attacks - 24th July 2013. Features Chris Valasek and Charlie Miller and a hacked Prius.
- Decoding CAN bus frames on a Toyota internal bus with SocketCAN and Linux - 22nd July 2013, a demo of a CAN bus in action.
- Luxury car theft - 12 Sep 2012, key reprogramming theft.
- Malicious App to Control a Car (Korean) - 9th September 2012. This video is in Korean. It shows reseachers using a fake app to control a car.
- DARPA PM Kathleen Fisher, High Assurance Systems - 14th March 2012. Lecture on car hacking issues.
- iDriver - iPhone remote controlled car - 9th October 2009. The Freie Universität Berlin use an iPhone to drive a car.
- DEFCON 15: Hack Your Car for Boost and Power! - This talk occurred on 3rd August 2007 but first appeared on YouTube on 29th January 2011.
- Automotive Cyber-security Companies and Offerings
- Keyless Entry Theft with Range Extender Devices
- For a full list of all the articles in Tek Eye see the full site Index
Author:Daniel S. Fowler Published: Updated: