↓markdown↓ CMS README
A simple, fast, lean, flat file (no database) CMS for easy and quick website generation and publishing. If you can type text you can build a website.
A HTTP server (e.g. Apache) with PHP installed, that's all. Great for low cost hosting plans. A web server with PHP is supplied as standard by nearly all web hosting providers. ↓markdown↓ CMS is easy to configure for a Virtual Private Server (VPS), dedicated server or any PC.
(In the following it is assumed that example.com will be replaced with your own registered domain name, or localhost for a test or website development computer.)
Drop the code on to the web server. Just extract the zip contents to the public HTML root folder (if using the GitHub zip file extract everything in zip file's first folder). If PHP is enabled and the web server supports URL rewrite, as most do, then ↓markdown↓ CMS is ready (e.g. example.com/md).
Folder and files are structure and content. Start by creating an index.md file in the root. Add .md files for more web pages:
- index.md for example.com
- apage.md for example.com/apage
- sub/page.md for example.com/sub/page
Set Site Name and Logo
Upload an image for the website logo. Copy md/md-config.php to site-config.php (i.e. into the public root folder). Edit site-config.php to set the values for the site name and the logo.
- ↓markdown↓ CMS Home Page
- ↓markdown↓ CMS on GitHub
- Articles to Build a Website from Scratch with ↓markdown↓ CMS
- v0.8.220211103 - CSS changes to improve cellphone support (reduce white space and table space, stop text overrun for pre and code, display reCAPTCHA badge when feedback form used, stop feedback form overrun), update the Google Analytics code, update copyright year.
- v0.8.120201114 - Add support for a single dropdown menu off the first level menu.
- v0.8.120200829 - Replace Facebook comments plugin support with a HTML form for web page feedback. Add the last normalise.css minor update. Add most recent version of Parsedown.php. Silktide's cookie consent solution moved to Osano.
- v0.8.020200528 - Remove support for Disqus due to intrusive advertising.
- v0.7.020200208 - Bump screen maximum width for modern displays. Stop Facebook query causing error. Remove G+ social media button.
- v0.6.020170121 - Add support for social media sharing buttons, Disqus and Facebook commenting, and Google Analytics. Update normalize CSS, Parsedown, and cookie consent libraries.
- v0.5.020161120 - Add support for cookie consent and a sidebar on the index page.
- v0.4.020160311 - Add support for keywords highlighting when displaying source code.
- v0.3.020160218 - Add support for a website search via a search engine's site search. Support Linux and Windows webservers.
- v0.2.080151202 - Add a website index page and generate an XML sitemap.
- v0.1.020151119 - First working version, website running from a set of Commonmark/Markdown text files.