Android Example Projects
The list of Android sample projects in the table below illustrate various Android programming techniques. All the projects have been tested in Android Studio. Studio is a freely available Integrated Development Environment (IDE), a package used for writing software, in this case Android Apps. All these Android example project tutorials come with the source code in a zip archive. The example source code is ready to run in Android Studio. Extract the sample App project and use Android Studio import. How? Here's a quick guide:
- Extract the zip file contents to the required location (preserving directory structure).
- Run Studio and use the Import project option on the Welcome screen. (To get to the Welcome screen close any open projects.)
- Select the top level build.gradle file in the project directory.
- Accept the sync Gradle message and wait for the IDE to finish configuring the project.
- When the Run icon (play button) on the toolbar goes green the example project is ready to use.
(Import instructions also appear in each zip archive in the file instructions.txt.)
Free Projects to Illustrate Android Programming Techniques
This list of Android example projects will expand as other Android tutorials and code examples are added to the site. A full list of all the Tek Eye Android articles can be found in the Index. Some indicated articles were the basis for contributions to the O'Reilly Android Cookbook. The following table contains:
- A link to the tutorial article for each Android example project.
- A link to a zip file containing the source code for the example project that can be extracted and then imported into Studio.
- A link to a compiled version of the example as a signed installable Android packages (.apk file) on Google Play (if available). Ready for executing immediately on an Android device or emulator.
- An icon for the O'Reilly Android Cookbook if a version of the article appears there.
List of Free Android Example Projects
There are lots of free Android samples that come with the Android SDK, see the list in the article Android SDK Samples.
Author:Daniel S. Fowler Published: Updated: